Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sarah Palin ROCKS!!!!


So, what inspired me to begin the EVAN Blog was the lack of a venue to freely express my views about all things autism and for others to whole-heartedly agree--or not!- with my opinions. I love a spirited, intelligent debate ("intelligent" being a key word here). People do not have to agree with my views; on the contrary, things are often more interesting when we do not agree on every little thing. I find that I tend to learn the most when somebody brings a completely different point of view to the table. Sometimes, I discover that I had not considered all the information, and change my opinion on the subject. Other times, I don't change my mind, but learn a tremendous amount about the vast viewpoints within our community. However, I am the most intrigued (okay, annoyed...) when somebody's opinion really gets under my skin. What IS that all about? After I have taken a deep breath and a step back, I try to honestly consider what the other person is communicating to me. Even if I am never swayed to their side of the street, I almost always learn something new about myself and am forced to grow a little. Isn't that what life is all about, learning and stretching ourselves out of our comfort zones? Autism is a lot like that. What did you know about autism before it got dropped on your family like a cold bucket of water...in January...in your underwear...in Michigan? Maybe you knew a little, or maybe you knew a lot (consider yourself ahead of the game if you were in the latter crowd). I think most of us have a very steep learning curve at the beginning of this journey. If we are ever to make any real progress and do the best we can to help our children, we must stretch ourselves and get out of our comfort zones. I am certainly not in the same place now compared to when my first child was diagnosed over 9 years ago. I am certainly not the same person I was then, either (thanks for that, Kyle-man). I hope I am a lot better, stronger, and more compassionate. I hope never to live my life governed by fear, in any realm, but to rise to every challenge with grace and courage. Often, it is my family and friends that help me find these qualities within myself, and for that I am ever so grateful. On the "EVAN Street" in the autism community, you are always welcome: welcome to drop on by for a little support, a lot of laughter when you need it, and a place to express your opinions. I would love to hear what you are thinking these days, particularly in regards to politics and how it affects our little ASD corner of the world (it was originally why I started this blog...LOL). Want to hear what others have to say? Let me know! Post your comments on the blog, and I will happily move them to the main blog page for all to easily see, if you like. After all, they are public any way, but wouldn't it be ever so much fun to stir up some lively chatter if they are front and center? What are you waiting for? Sarah Palin is gonna rock your world, just wait and see.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Thanks for having a place for people to come. Having just moved here from a small city, I am grateful for all of the resources that are available here! It is awesome.. I used to depend on one or two people who had been through this before me, and now I have a whole network and community. It is rewarding and refreshing. Thanks for working so hard at it. It is truly inspirational.

Abby Runyan said...

I can't even tell you how excited I am about Sarah Palin!!!! When she talks about helping us families with speical needs kids I tear up. It's time for someone like that in the White House!!! I'm So upset with the media though, flat out lying that she cut funds for speical needs kids in Alaska when she raised them. But it's the same media who reports vaccines are totally safe, that should tell us something. I would LOVE to know how she feels about vaccines and the schedule. Sarah Palin, I love her!!

thegoodguy said...

Sarah Palin does not rock. As a parent of a special needs child, what does she know about what lies ahead after four months - in the midst of everything else she has been doing? This is yet another area where she is claiming expertise without any real experience. For one thing, government services are incredibly important for a lifetime, so "getting government out of the way" is not doing the children (and adults) any favors. She seems nice and all, but seriously. Way out of her league and more than just a risk.

Love the blog though! Keep up the good work EVAN :-)