Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Got a Problem Hearing About "Politics"?


I am climbing on my soapbox...ahem: I tried to keep my mouth shut, seriously, but I am afraid my head is going to explode if I don't express my thoughts. I understand that not everybody is interested in politics; I didn't used to be, until I realized how relevant it is to my life...and I have a voice...and that I have no right to complain if I am not going to make a difference or at least support those who are trying to change those issues that directly affect me. People will never entirely agree on politics. Thank heavens for that--it would be a really boring evening around the dinner table! What, you don't discuss politics in your home, or at least over meals? We certainly do in our home, from time to time; we want our children to realize they have not only a right to voice their opinion, but also a responsibility to act on those issues they feel strongly about. I try to practice what I preach. If you know me personally, then you know it is hard for me not to take action on something about which I express passion.


Here is what makes me want to pull out my hair: People complain, at length, about their frustrations with the system--lack of insurance coverage, DDD services or lack thereof, major problems with their school districts, on and on. I can relate to their frustration (I have 2 boys on the autism spectrum; that means I have 2 dogs in the fight...). The simple fact is that any major changes that must occur are going to involve politics. The bigger the issue and the more people it impacts, typically the more politics it involves. Remember Steven's Law, the most comprehensive insurance legislation in the United States? It is still fresh in my mind, as the Governor signed it into law just last March, effective July of 2009. Holy french fries, Batman! How do these people think Steven's Law was passed? There was a small group of autism moms that lived down at the Capitol for months. All we did was strategize and deal with legislators (that would be the politicians!). It simply does not get any more "political" than that. Period. The ironic thing is that just about every one of these moms will not benefit from the legislation. We did it because it was absolutely necessary and it was the right thing to do. As I am sure the majority of our readers are aware, this was a huge grass roots effort. We worked hard to get our parents to pay attention and take action. Our legislative effort truly succeeded because of all the autism families and their friends that were willing to get involved: they showed up at hearings and at the candlelight vigil; they wrote letters and emails to the legislators; they made phone calls and paid visits to their legislators; several even came out and walked legislators' districts on the weekends when we asked for their help.


This was truly an amazing, remarkable process. Everybody was important. Families made this happen. Now, take it a step further, please. Our autism community garnered some serious respect because of Steven's Law. Legislators had never seen anything like this before. Don't believe me? Call your legislator personally and ask. Is there anything else that needs to be repaired or changed for our children and the community? Gee, does anyone have any issues with the public education system? School district? Department of Education? Struggling with your therapy services? Lack thereof? Would you like to see things drastically improve? For the love of Pete, make the connection: it will take more "politics" to make these monumental changes in the system. Don't think it can be done? Well, we did it with insurance. This is a fact: every year when the “Arizona Capitol Times” publishes their "Most Powerful List" every year- top of the list, listed higher than the Speaker of the House or Governor's Chief of Staff, is "insurance industry". Wow, ruminate on that for a moment. If only one thing is taken away from my long post, make it this: Get involved. Stay involved. If "involved" merely means being supportive of those of us putting ourselves on the line for this community, then please be involved. If you can do more, we welcome you with open arms and will support you in your effort. If there are any parties objecting to our use of "politics" to get things accomplished, think twice about benefiting from our efforts, even if only for a second. After you have given it some thought, thank your lucky stars somebody was willing to talk "politics" and be on the front lines for you and your family. This truly is an amazing community. We are capable of making even greater changes within our state for our autism community. Let's stand united and support one another in our efforts to make Arizona better for all of our families. If you can't do this, then please, stand back and get out of the way for those of us willing to do the work. Thank you to those families that have given their undying support for our efforts. I am getting off my soapbox now....

8 comments:

craven said...

Well said Melissa!~ You Go Girl. I think it is a no brainer WHY Autism Families accomplished so much (through EVAN and I guess others). Reasons to Attend the McCain Party on Saturday 1. MCCAIN might win - Yay for AZ & Special Needs 2. He might lose - Still our AZ national Senator! 3. Key positions in government (for our agenda) are mostly Repubilcan 4. AZ is a RED state last I looked! 5. Our support will go a long way when we knock on their door next week to discuss more issues like Education Reform (audits, violations, help) and DDD services. If you STILL think you can not support a Republican print up some "Aguirre for President" stickers and throw her a party! My am 2 cents. See you there! Johanna & Joe Bonnell

Gina said...

Woo Woo Woo! Scream it from the rooftops Sista! Go McCain/Palin! We can't make it tho, wish we could, sounds like a high class political Bash! Have fun!

Jessie Geroux said...

Thanks for your posts MV!!!-Jessie Geroux

Unknown said...

After attending the meeting with the DDD people downtown a little over a month ago, I realized all over again the dedication it takes to advocate for our children and adults with autism. I was extremely proud to have been in the company of such passionate, caring, justice-seeking, and hardworking people fighting for our special needs loved ones. I learned more some and then some. I was able to voice my concerns and listened wholeheartedly of others' plights. All in all, I walked away brainstorming what else I can do. The meeting was quite informational and eye-opening.

Thank you helping all of us to stay informed,
LaDonna Bennett - son Jacob, 10 yrs old, with autism

Unknown said...

I am just plain losing it. I dont see a way out. My little boys life is doomed and I cant help him anymore because I cant help myself. he is4 and has autism and I am 50 and failing in health fast and the school is helping over the edge.

Melissa Van Hook said...

Patty,

I am so sorry for your distress. There are a ton of hands to help you up in this community--please email me privately on-line at kavh1129@cox.net so we can communicate ASAP.

God bless,

Melissa Van Hook

K-Mom, Auntie & Friend! said...

I'm not sure how this blogging thing works, but I read the EVAN blog about Steven's law--go girls go!! I am seeking a play group for my 23 mo old son who is diagnosed as mixed devel delay and "at risk" for autism. Am having trouble finding such a group/service. Any help welcome!! Thx, Mom-trying-to-get-it-done!!

Melissa Van Hook said...

K-mom,

Hello! Are you in the east valley? Please e-mail me at kavh1129@cox.net, and I can point you in the right direction to find a play group. I look forward to hearing from you!

Melissa Van Hook